Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Chapter 23

“I disagree Commander,” Lysander said as he studied the map laid out on the table between himself and Liam. “We should strike due north to Dhetheru. It’s the closest population center to our current location.”

“I know, Lysander. But that puts us between two of the enemy’s cities. And there is no guarantee that we will be able to take the city quickly.” Lysander looked about to object. “I am well aware of the prowess of you and your men, Lysander. But these people have some warning and it is their city. Plus, there’s the environment. I don’t relish a long siege in a desert, with no handy supply of water.

“Taking Debobat first is smart for three reasons. First, we know its exact location and can ship in supplies from the sea, if necessary. Second, it doesn’t put us between two hostile forces. And third, the Emperor specifically mentioned Debobat when I left him a week ago.”

Lysander considered this. He chafed at the idea of putting off battle, but he was too good a tactician to ignore Liam’s advice. “Very well Commander. Debobat it is. Now, may I make a suggestion?”

Liam nodded. “Of course.”

“Well, as you’ve pointed out, Debobat is on the ocean. And Kandara is a port city. It might make more sense to load my men on ships and attack from the sea. It will be quicker, which I know you griffin riders like. And it may add an element of surprise, since ships are expected to stop there, while my men would raise a cloud of dust visible for miles if we tramp overland.”

Liam traced his finger over the map, nodding. “That makes a lot of sense. Additionally, my griffins can fly along the coast, tracking the ships. We can arrive together and take the city quickly.”

“Then we’re agreed?”

“Agreed.”

“Very well, Commander. I’ll send messengers to Kandara to arrange transport. We’ll strike camp in the morning and with any luck, leave on the evening tide.”

Next>

No comments: