Monday, June 16, 2008

Chapter 18

Kilthanis walked into the dining room of his large home in Dekiyem, the City of Law. He stopped and kissed Kelsey, his betrothed, before taking a seat and ordering some breakfast from the steward. Kelsey was a D’Ember, the second most powerful family in Reth’methil. That also made her a cousin to Laris Rychart and therefore a distant member of the Imperial family.

She looked up from the scroll she was reading as he finished his breakfast order. “Good morning, my love. And just what do you plan to do about this?” She indicated the document she held in her hand.

“Good morning, dear. And I’m quite sure I don’t know, since I have no idea what you’re reading.” He sipped his coffee, quite certain this argument was already lost.

“I’m talking about your Emperor’s latest crusade against the desert folk.”

“Well, darling, I’d remind you he’s your Emperor too. And I am already defending one man accused of plotting against the Empire. And based on our defense, I don’t think I could ethically take on the case of his co-conspirator.”

“Kilthanis, you know that’s not who I’m talking about!” she snapped. “These people are citizens of the Empire, the same as you and I and that means they are entitled to the same rights! Yet here he is, ordering them shipped off to a far-distant port without any basis in suspicion!”

“Well, Kelsey, you can always write to Laris and ask him to go easy on these poor souls. I understand he’s been placed in charge of the investigation personally.”

“That’s just the point! He’s been ordered to investigate by the Emperor. And he himself is of the blood Imperial. He has every incentive to track down the perpetrators. But even if he wasn’t inclined to investigate, he’d need the cover of a court decision before he could think about defying the Emperor.”

“A fair point. But I’m not sure how the courts would rule on this petition. The Empire’s been attacked. This investigation has been authorized by the Emperor himself.”

“These depredations are a violation of the law!”

“And he speaks with the voice of Borean. The law is both man and God-made, and you well know that God-made law trumps the laws of men.”

“He speaks for Borean because he happens to be from the right family! And not even the elder branch. The Empire grew from a democratic society and deserves a democratic leader! Or at least the proper heir to the throne. But even were I to grant your point, Bokiyem is the God of Law, not Borean. And no man, even the Emperor, should be above the law.

“And what’s more, you agree with me.”

During her tirade, the servants had brought Kilthanis his breakfast. He ate in thoughtful silence for several moments after Kelsey finished speaking.

Finally, he set down his fork and sighed. “You’re right, of course, love. I’ll head down to the Court and file a petition as soon as we’re done here.”

Next>

No comments: