Thursday, May 8, 2008

Foreword

It is unusual for a book of this type to have a foreword. Then again, it is unusual for a scholar of my caliber to be writing a book of this type. Therefore, to avoid confusion from those of my usual readers who are used to a more academic account from me, I felt it necessary to write this short foreword and clarify my intent in writing this.

What you hold in your hands is a work of historical fiction. That is, the events that are depicted actually occurred, and many of those who play a role in this volume actually lived. Many of the events discussed in the following pages are those you studied in school. In that sense, it is historical. It is, however, fiction, in that many of the conversations depicted, the thoughts revealed and motives displayed are entirely the creation of this humble author.

Inasmuch as possible, I have drawn from the historical record, cataloguing actual dates and events. Where available, I have drawn on first hand accounts and personal correspondence and journals. In this, certain aspects of the following narrative are more accurate than others.

While many of the events have been told countless times, it is one of the oldest propositions that history is written by the winners. Often times, the surviving accounts from non-official sources depict events in a very different light than what tradition holds. Therefore, I have done my best to triangulate from surviving accounts, to attempt to give a full picture of what transpired all those years ago.

Where information was lacking, I have filled in, to the best of my ability, with events and actions that seem consistent with what we do know. This may explain why I chose to go this route, rather than my usual more scholarly work. For those who are interested in Imperial Law of the period, I humbly suggest my earlier works, Imperial Law of the Millenial Era and Imperial Law in Times of Crisis.

Finally, I must extend my thanks to several individuals, without whom this work would not be possible. First, to the Imperial Records Keeper, for her aid in providing me access to the royal archives. Without these records, this work would not be possible. To the High Court in Dekiyem, for providing copies of key court decisions as well as full records of the trials. Many of the facts contained herein are based on the testimony of those who were witness to key events. To the history department at the Imperial University in Dhe-akatheyo, who’s extensive collection of personal correspondence and accounts from the time, for supporting me while I did my research. To the School of Law, for providing a sabbatical while I worked on this decidedly non-academic work, I am eternally grateful.

And finally, to you the reader, for your interest in this fascinating period of Imperial history. It is for you that this book was written. It is my greatest hope that by learning from the mistakes of the past, we can avoid the hazards of the future.

L.H. D’Orne

Professor of Law and Legal History

Imperial University School of Law

Dhe-akatheyo, Reth’methil

Next>

4 comments:

G.S. Williams said...

DUDE -

I loved this. Especially as nothing was out of the ordinary until almost the end, when the alien names hit. Well done. I was all like "WHoah, and then WHOAH" but not so nerdy.

But, DUDE, you have to change your format. You're all SCI FI, and I know Jonah Chalmers is going to win, and this lay out is so much more WESTERN. COME ON!

Allan T Michaels said...

I'll tinker with the background colors. But I'm glad you enjoyed the forward.

Anonymous said...

You have a spelling error right in the title of your first post. "Forward" is a direction you can travel. A "foreword" is a comment placed at the beginning of a written work. If you want to be taken seriously as a writer, you need to be able to avoid simple errors like this.

Allan T Michaels said...

I appreciate the correction. I have made the suggested change.