Friday, May 23, 2008

Chapter 8

Kilthanis looked at Coren. “Not necessarily. We might be able to trade information in exchange for your life.”

“What information?” Coren demanded. “I don’t know anything!”

“Well, you mentioned a desert man. If you can give an adequate description and they can find this man, then perhaps that information will be worth your life. They know you didn’t act alone, Coren. You’ve never been inside the Imperial Palace. You certainly don’t have access to the kitchens. Therefore, whoever bought the poison must have brought it in.

“As far as I know, the only desert men in the palace work as Imperial Magicians. That means there’s a conspiracy against the Emperor. If you can help root it out….yes, I think I can convince the Imperial Prosecutor and the judge to spare you.”

Desperate hope sang in Coren’s dark eyes. “I’ll tell them anything, ANYTHING, to avoid the executioner.”

“Well you can start by telling me about this desert man. And remember, Coren, they will put you under Oath to ensure you’re telling the truth.”

“Oh I am, I am….I just wish I could remember more about him. I wasn’t paying that much attention. I try to avoid noticing my clients and with those desert folk…well, I was more concerned with where his hands were than what he looked like. I wanted to make sure that my property didn’t walk off with him unless he paid for it.”

Kilthanis masked his disgust at the blatant racism that was spewing from his client’s mouth. These sorts of rumors had plagued the desert people for years. It didn’t help that they were so secretive, and only rarely ventured out of their home. Still, that was no excuse. “Still, I assume you don’t see desert men everyday. You must have noticed something about him.”

Coren sighed. “To be completely honest, I was drunk. Your little dossier mentioned that I crawled into a bottle. Well this morning was no exception.”

“Hmmm. Well, I can probably use that as part of your defense. Voluntary intoxication is no excuse, but it can mitigate your role in the conspiracy. Clearly, you weren’t in your right mind if you did give this man poison in a vial with your mark on it. That may help convince the judge not to sentence you to death.”

“Terrific. Drinking is actually good for something other than hiding out from life.”

“Indeed. Now concentrate, Coren. Is there anything else you can tell me about this desert man? I’ll need more if I’m going to convince the Prosecutor to let you live.”

Coren scrubbed his hands through his hair and over his face, then closed his eyes tight, in thought. “He was dressed in their traditional garb. Long, black hair. Braided. He looked like every other desert man I’ve ever seen!”

“Well, then I’m-“

“Wait!” Coren cried out. “His eyes! There was something about his eyes. They…weren’t right. Gods help me, I can’t remember what, though.”

Kilthanis thought for a second. “We might not need the Gods’ help, Coren. There is one other option I’d like to explore.” So saying, Kilthanis rose and walked over to the door, banging loudly. When a guard answered, Kilthanis spoke with him briefly. The guard returned a question, looking skeptical.

“Just do it,” Kilthanis said. “If you’re questioned, tell him I asked for it. If that’s not good enough, go ask the Emperor. I’m sure he’ll approve.”

The guard looked shocked at the suggestion, but hurried away.

“What did you ask for?” Coren inquired.

“I asked for the help of a magician.”

Next>

No comments: