Monday, August 4, 2008

Chapter 37

Kilthanis’s steps were heavy and slow as he made his way through the halls of the Court building. He barely acknowledged the Clerk of the Court as he shuffled past his desk. Yet despite his slow pace he found himself in front of a large door far too soon for comfort.

He hesitated briefly, then raised his hand, striking the door forcefully. A large part of him hoped that Lucas wasn’t in, but that hope was quickly dashed as he heard a familiar voice beckoning him inside.

With a final pause, he pushed open the great doors and entered the spacious chambers of a Lord Justice of the Imperial High Court. The room was large and well furnished. Clear glass windows looked out over the buildings to the West. They provided a great deal of light, which bounced warmly off the wood paneled walls.

“Hello Kilthanis,” Lucas said. His voice was light, but the usual warmth that Kilthanis had come to expect over the last several years was absent.

“Hello Lucas,” Kilthanis replied, his voice carefully neutral. The use of the familiar names was somewhat comforting. Lucas had to have some idea as to why Kilthanis was there. By not referring to him as “Lord D’Endray” Lucas was subtly signaling that this conversation would not be in their official capacities, but rather in their role as old friends.

“What can I do for you, old friend? Come to debate the latest treatise on inheritance in the Empire?” Lucas’s tone was artificially light.

The casual question caused something to snap in Kilthanis. “No, Lucas. I come on a much more serious and pressing matter.”

Lucas sighed, his shoulders slumping slightly. “I figured as much. You wish to discuss my opinion with me. Well, I’ve said everything I need to say. It’s clearly spelled out in the opinion I announced. You can get a copy—“

“I know damn well where I can get a copy!” Kilthanis burst out. “Don’t talk to me like I’m some lawyer fresh out of school!”

Lucas’s eyes hardened. “I’d watch your tone. You’re addressing a Lord Justice. And if I’m not mistaken, you’ve come to discuss a matter this Court has ruled on. Given the improper nature of such a discussion, I’d say you’re acting like someone fresh out of school. Now, I’ll ask you again, counselor, what can I do for you?” All pretense of a friendly meeting was gone.

“What can you do for me?” Kilthanis tried, and failed, to keep control of himself. “You can explain that disgrace you call a legal opinion!”

“I already told you. I’ve said all I need to say.”

“No, Lucas. You haven’t. Not by a long way. I don’t know who came up with that ridiculous doctrine you announced yesterday, but it wasn’t the man I went to school with. Not the man who railed against injustice. Certainly not the man I’ve known for the last fifteen years.” By now, Kilthanis’s anger had vented itself.

As he spoke, Lucas seemed to shrink in upon himself. Now, he stood there, with his head bowed, shoulders hunched. When he spoke, his voice was very quiet. Kilthanis had to lean forward a bit to hear him.

“Don’t you think I know that?”

Next>

No comments: